EDP CA WEEKLY BRIEFING 19 July 2021
- A reminder if you are coming into the office you need to book your place using the Google sign-in sheets for Wareham or Wimborne. Please put a B in the appropriate column to book and then change it to a P when you are present in the office. These are found on the shared drive.
- A reminder that our ‘whole Team’ meetings are on the 1st Wednesday of the month at 2pm. Currently these are held on Zoom but we hope to meet face to face soon. Some of you may need to change your calendars.
join Zoom Meeting
- WELLBEING – Monthly calendar suggestions from Action for Happiness https://www.actionforhappiness.org/jump-back-up-july
- Appointments are now available in a number of outreach locations – Ferndown Library, Upton Library, Swanage Library, Verwood Library, Lytchett Matravers Library, Upton Town Hall, The Hive in Bovington. Speak to your supervisor to arrange an appointment.
- HOUSING: People need to re-register to stay on the Housing List from 26 July and must upload their identity documents. See www.
dorsetcouncilhomechoice.org.uk . and https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov. uk/housing/housing-register- re-registration-process.aspx They will have until 1 October to do this. More details on next week’s briefing!
- BENEFITS – The DWP will be issuing new guidance following a successful Judicial Review case regarding their use of benefit ‘offers’ to avoid Tribunal action. They essentially settle out of court with the client who may end up with less money than they would have been awarded at a tribunal. The clients have to decide quickly whether to accept the money. The client in question had accepted a new award to avoid the stress of a Tribunal hearing. They were not told that they could still appeal and go ahead with the hearing. https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/dwp-concedes-judicial-review-challenge-to-practice-of-making-offers-to-disabled-claimants-awaiting-first-tier-tribunal-appeal-hearing
- EMPLOYMENT – Citizens Advice has published an article on returning to the workplace after being at home. We may see a rise in enquiries on this in the next few weeks. See https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/about-us1/media/press-releases/back-to-the-workplace-your-rights-if-youve-been-working-from-home/?mc_cid=18fcd75486&mc_eid=f7a30623f6
- IMMIGRATION – CA in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole are able to help with late applications for the EU Settlement Scheme. The deadline has passed but clients are still able to apply. Clients or advisers can email [email protected] or phone 07761 092704. Appointments can be face to face, via video or telephone.
EDP COMMUNICATIONS AND IT UPDATE
- A link to Easyfundraising is now available on our website. Please share with your friends, family and neighbours. It’s very easy to use – when you next shop online, log onto Easyfundraising and start shopping! The organisations will then pay a donation directly to EDP. There are many retailers including Argos, Wilko, Dominos, Just eat, Amazon, ebay and John Lewis. More info can be found here www.edpcitizensadvice.org.uk/donate
- Links to the IT training can be found here: Google Drive and Google Calendar and on the front page of the portal. The training is held on our shared drive folder so you will need to be signed in to an @edp email to access it.
- New email address for finance. Please send any expenses claims to [email protected]
- Training for July is to familiarise yourself with the Debt Assessment Tool if you have not already done so. Go to https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/cablink/advice-and-education/Advice-areas/debt-and-money-advice/debt-assessment/
There are introductory slides and 4 short video guides. You can practice on the Casebook Training Site if you wish.
Please let Mandi know when you have done this [email protected]
- New HOUSING training from Shelter and the Legal Support Litigants in Person Project. This takes place via Microsoft Teams on Tuesday July 27th 10 – 11.30am. Suitable for all levels. It will cover the following topics:
- The importance of early intervention:
- Preventing notices being served and possession claims
- Practical hints and tips for cases
- Why security of tenure is relevant
- Introduction to legal aid in housing cases
You can book by emailing [email protected] direct but please let Mandi know if you are successful in gaining a place
- Docebo is changing its name. It will soon be known as Skillbook.
- We need client consent to record Special Category Data (ethnicity, disability etc). This means that if we are talking to a third party even if a partner, we cannot name their health conditions. A common issue is husband/wife/partner enquiring about PIP/AA for their partner. We can give basic information but cannot give tailored advice or record the partner’s health issues. This does not apply if someone holds Power of Attorney for them.
RESEARCH AND CAMPAIGNS
- More than two thirds of adults (36 million) have been targeted by a scammer since January, new research by Citizens Advice has found.
- 4 famous volunteers – Ella Fitzgerald (fundraising to fight polio), Benjamin Franklin (fire brigade), Ernest Hemingway (ambulance driver) and Agatha Christie (nurse).