EDP CA WEEKLY BRIEFING 28 JUNE 2021
- Welcome to Julie S who is just starting her training to become an Adviceline Assessor.
- Welcome back to Lesley who will be helping with admin at Wimborne.
- We say goodbye to Lisa Tilley who has resigned, and to Jackie White, Geoff Nash and Barry Watts who have all retired. We wish them all the best for the future and thank them for all their many years of service.
- Several of you have asked about a buddying/mentor scheme for volunteers. If you have any ideas as to how this might work in practice or would like to help others or receive help yourself then please talk to Judy, Sue B or Mandi.
- BENEFITS – Re-introduction of claimant commitments. The DWP have confirmed that all new claims for new-style ESA will require the client to have an appointment with a work coach and agree a claimant commitment before the claim will be allowed. For claims already processed, clients will start to be contacted from 28 June to arrange an appointment with their work coach to agree a claimant commitment.
- IMMIGRATION – Citizens Advice can help with late applications for EU Settled Status past the 30 June deadline. Clients must meet specific criteria. See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/993872/EUSS_Guidance_July_2021.pdf?mc_cid=baa223a90a&mc_eid=bd998539d9
- HEALTH – Leaflet with details of accessing mental health services in Dorset https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1?ui=2&ik=a12e9fb5c9&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1703450084490131915&th=17a3ded39aa4b9cb&view=att&disp=inline&realattid=17a3decf89af6655ae95
EDP COMMUNICATIONS UPDATE
- We have a regular feature in the Stour and Avon magazine. If you have any suggestions for the next article – please let Sian know.
- Citizens Advice is celebrating Pride month. You may like to add the following logo to your email footer: right click on the image below, click copy image. In email, open “all settings” scroll down to the signature. In the space below “Find us on Facebook and Twitter” right click again and Paste. You can choose the size of the image – small, medium or large.
- Training for June is a new course on Docebo Research and Campaigns: Making Research and campaigns work in your local office. This is something that everyone needs to know about.
Please let Mandi know when you have done this [email protected]
and don’t forget to cover R&C in your casenotes even if it does not appear relevant, as it shows that you have considered it.
- Inclusivity and Diversity Training – free training open to all. You will discover through a series of discussions how you can improve your relationships with people by understanding how you relate to those people and what makes you react in different ways depending on people you meet. Wed 14 July 2-5pm. Sign up at
- A number of you have already trained as Dementia Friends, We are planning more of this training. If you have already done it can you please let Mandi know so that we can compile a list.
- If anyone is interested in training as a Mental Health First Aider, there is some information here
The course lasts for 2 days online and edp are willing to cover the costs for suitable learners who can then support clients and colleagues with mental health issues. Speak with Mandi if you are interested
- When advising on benefits or completing forms with clients, please ensure you highlight the time limits for appeal and write this in your casenotes. This is very important as it is something which can be picked up at audit and can lead to that case failing. This applies to caseworkers as well as generalist advisers.
RESEARCH AND CAMPAIGNS
- There is currently a scam where people are receiving phone calls allegedly from Citizens Advice. Please highlight this to your clients. If they are concerned then they should contact us through Adviceline.
- Citizens Advice research has shown that contrary to popular belief, people under 34 years old are almost 5 times more likely to fall for a scam than older people.