EDP CA WEEKLY BRIEFING 05 July 2021
- Welcome to Guy who is just starting training to become an Adviceline Assessor.
- Welcome back to all those who are starting back in the offices in person. Currently we still have strict numbers to adhere to for social distancing purposes (15 for Wimborne and 5 for Wareham). If you want to come in you will need to have completed a Risk Assessment with Sue B. You then need to book your place using the Google sign-in sheets for Wareham or Wimborne. Please put a B in the appropriate column to book and then change it to a P when you are present in the office. These are found on the shared drive (Google Drive: Shared Drives> EDP Main Office>A Daily Sign in & Rotas).
- ‘Pandemic brain’ – it’s a thing! certain members of staff would definitely agree.
- From 6 July Adviceline Assessors will be able to ‘pause’ Adviceline. This means you can log-on without the phone immediately ringing. For more details see
- BENEFITS/EMPLOYMENT – The TUC is calling for Long Covid to be recognised as a disability and Covid-19 as an occupational disease. This will give workers more employment rights and access to welfare benefits. The effects can be long-lasting and we need to be aware of this when assisting clients with claims for ESA/PIP etc.
- DEBT – The eligibility criteria for Debt Relief Orders has changed. The new rules state that clients can have up to £30,000 worth of debts, own assets up to £2000 (this is usually a vehicle) and have up to £100 surplus income a month. This means that more people will now be eligible. The cost is still £90.
- IMMIGRATION – Some people can now use the new ‘View and Prove’ online service to prove their immigration status. They will have been informed if they are eligible for this. https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status
EDP COMMUNICATIONS UPDATE
- Citizens Advice national is now on Instagram as well as Facebook and Twitter.
- A link to Easyfundraising is now available on our website. Please share with your friends, family and neighbours. It’s very easy to use – when you next shop online, log onto Easyfundraising and start shopping! The organisations will then pay a donation directly to EDP. More info can be found here www.edpcitizensadvice.org.uk/donate
- Social Media – we are wanting to increase our followers on social media – particularly twitter. If you’re on twitter and facebook, please follow us @CitAdviceEDP and like/share our posts. Please also share with clients.
- EDP Style Guide – There is a new EDP Style Guide that has been uploaded to the portal. It contains useful information about the use of our name, organisational contact details, templates and brand guidelines. Links have also been added to the portal to register to receive Start the Week and Covid-19 Update Newsletter.
- The Business Plan is now also visible on our website www.edpcitizensadvice.org.uk/business-plan
- We are trying to keep any changes to IT to a minimum. However, we have been working with National CA to try to iron out some areas that were not updated by them following the merger. As a result we will be introducing a new login to all advisers for Adviceline. Instead of logging in with “Purbeck / Wimborne name & initial”, all logins will become “EDP name & initial“. The new logins will start to be used from Monday 19th July. We will make sure everyone is given the temporary password in plenty of time to enable you to login from that date.
- IT Survey: please can you complete the IT Survey https://forms.gle/jkJf5mTBuM8aWwNa6 this can also be found on the IT section on the portal main page. We are looking for feedback on how things are working, and also to help identify further areas for IT training that were requested at the Away Day.
- Training for July is to familiarise yourself with the Debt Assessment Tool if you have not already done so. Go to https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/cablink/advice-and-education/Advice-areas/debt-and-money-advice/debt-assessment/
There are introductory slides and 4 short video guides. You can practice on the Casebook Training Site if you wish.
Please let Mandi know when you have done this [email protected]
- Advice Dorset Partnership are running an online Benefit forum on Thursday 15 July 09:30 – 13:00. details at
If you normally work on a Thursday then please contact Judy to discuss before booking.
- A number of you have already trained as Dementia Friends, We are planning more of this training. If you have already done it can you please let Mandi know so that we can compile a list.
- Citizens Advice have now released feedback on our QAA scores for the last 12 months. The good news is that 80% of combined East Dorset/Purbeck/edp cases passed the audit putting us in the green band. Well done everyone. (This means that the bad news is that 20% of our cases failed to reach acceptable advice standards so we need to keep working on this). There will be some extra Casebook training sessions coming soon. If anyone has any questions about what they should or should not be putting in their casenotes please discuss with Mandi.
RESEARCH AND CAMPAIGNS
- Dorset Healthwatch is investigating problems accessing GP appointments, with particular interest in digital exclusion and/or the e-consult system. Dorset R&C us liaising with Healthwatch, as it’s a problem that we’ve noticed clients having, particularly during the last 15 months. We’d like to share some carefully anonymised evidence forms with Healthwatch. So, please write an evidence form if you come across this problem. If you remember a client in this situation, then it would be great if you could write an evidence form for them retrospectively. Let’s see what can be done to improve access to GPs!
FRIDAY FUN FACT
- CAEDP also stands for the Canadian Association of Equine Dental Practitioners!